Saturday, August 13, 2011

The Good, the Bad, and the Ugly

All in all, yesterday was a good day. I totally spaced off that I had to be dad's chauffeur for a doctor's appointment, and he called to wake me up at 9:30 for his 10:30 appointment, but I just tossed on some clothes and we made it without too many laws being broken. I thank God every time I have to go to dad's house for the Dodge Expressway. Dr. G was very pleased with dad's good mood and that he seemed to be doing a bit better. I am too, I think. When he has good days and acts like dad again, it's hard to know that he'll be moving to a nursing home in the pretty near future. I feel like the bad daughter when I think about it.

While we were still at the doctor, my friend Nancy called and asked if I wanted to meet for lunch at Big Fred's at 1:30. Great idea! I had a couple ideas I wanted to run by her, to see if she'd be willing to volunteer with me in keeping grave sites clean and maybe restoring stones if families requested it. Steve got off at 1:00, so he met us there, and Nancy brought her husband, Craig, so we had a really good lunch. Spent 2 hours talking about genealogy and cemetery cleaning, and all that good stuff. Dad has wanted to go to Big Fred's for lunch too, but we got done at the clinic before noon and I didn't want to sit there that long - so I took him to Bronco's and he was happy with that. It kind of irritates me that Missy was home all day yesterday, but she couldn't take him - at least take him to my house. It's 30 miles round trip and my husband/boyfriend/whatever doesn't put gas in my car or pay my repair bills if the car breaks down. (Okay, that's a moot point since I have a 100,000 mile warranty, but you get my drift.) When I got home, I called India and we had a good chat - and that was the end of the good part of the day.

By 6 o'clock yesterday the aches had hit me pretty bad and my left wrist was so sore I couldn't hardly move my fingers. I haven't had that kind of joint pain for a while, and I haven't missed it. Then the rest of the body aches set in and that was the end of me for the rest of the day. I spent the rest of the night trying to get comfortable. Took my Ambien at 11 and was still wide awake at 1:30, just very uncomfortable.

This morning I woke up feeling pretty good. Folded 3 laundry baskets full of clothes and put them away and was thinking about going to the store when I felt the first aches coming on. I jumped in the shower, only to find that it hurt like heck when the water hit my skin, that may have been the shortest shower - ever, but I did take one! Steve power washed the house today, it really really needed it - and it looks much better. I thought I might run to the store and then make chicken enchiladas for dinner, but thinking about it was as far as it went. I ended up sleeping or laying down most of the day. I finally got up about dinner, but still don't feel worth a darn.

We did decide to go to the grocery store after Steve ate, that was kind of creepy. We stopped to get some gas and noticed there was a lot of traffic on 90th Street, and when we got to the store, I wasn't sure I wanted to get out of the When we came out, the parking lot was clear, but the traffic was at a standstill as far as we could see on 90th Street - I wonder what was going on. We went to McDonald's for an ice cream cone and by the time we came back home, 90th was clear. Odd. If I had been alone, I'm not sure I would have gone in the store, it was very unsettling since I've been hearing all kinds of news about the flash mobs and the riots that went on at the Wisconsin State Fair.

Kind of sad Magann didn't call me about shopping today, although I don't think I could have worked up the energy to go. I'll have to call her tomorrow, because I really want to make the gift bags for Hailey's party, even if I have to buy the stuff. I'm feeling disconnected from Hails since I don't see her very much any more. Part of it's probably just plain old jealousy because I think she sees Magann's parents a lot more, but I'm really happy they love her so much. Talk about conflicted feelings. I just want Hailey to be happy - that's what counts!

Meg and Jason can't keep the dog they found. As a matter of fact, they took him to the pound yesterday. Their idiot landlord wouldn't let them have him. She said he's get too big. Glad she's such an expert on dogs (not). It's none of my business, except I love dogs so much and he was so sweet and affectionate, just a good dog that somebody dumped, who would have had a good home with Jason and Meg. It's not like the dog could possibly do any damage to that house either. It's a pit, which Meg and Jason are trying hard to fix up to make it habitable by someone other than college kids. The paint in the living room was horrifying and it's such a tiny house with a tiny yard... Anything that dog could have done in that house would have been an improvement, including chewing through the walls. Their landlord would best be considered a slumlord, IMHO.

There you go. The good, the bad, and the ugly. I'm trying to get to bed early tonight in hopes I'll feel better tomorrow. I'd like to make it to breakfast for a change. Something other than mini-wheats would be a good change.


No comments: