Monday, June 13, 2011

Sunday, 12 June 2011





Good day today. The weather was wonderful! Even this afternoon it was warm, but cloudy and the wind had a cool feel to it. Niiiiiice.

Matt came over today to do his laundry so we got to see Hailey and spend a few hours with her. She loves Thomas the Tank Engine, which really cracks me up. We watched an episode of that while Matt took the vacuum home to use, then we watched some Barney for a bit, until the lure of the kitchen drove her upstairs. She really loves playing with her kitchen. I might have Matt and Steve take it over to their house, since she doesn't spend so much time with us as she used to. She loves to bake the French Fries, and her "tookies" and her oranges (?), but she has fun. Today she got irritated because I have one of those magic bottles for her baby doll. Every time she thought it was empty, it would suddenly fill up again. After four times of her thinking it was empty and it really being full, she got ticked and tossed it across the room. "I said no more!" And that was THAT! She loves Barney and loves to sing his ending song with him. I will get a video of her singing soon. I just love it. She cried when she had to leave tonight. It broke my heart. She wanted nana and kept holding her arms out to me. I saw a picture of Eric Dane with his 14-month-old daughter the other day and he said about her daughter, "She owns me"... That's exactly how I feel about Hailey. I would move heaven and earth to get her what she wanted - not to mention the fact I put her on a pedestal. She's my first grandchild - what else can I do?

Finished a book called "Sisters" by Kathleen Thompson Norris today. I wasn't much impressed with it at first, as a matter of fact, I had to practically force myself to read it. For one thing, it was kind of smarmy, a little too much like Little Women to make me a big fan, but I kept reading, hoping it would get better, and it did. I'm still not much of a romance book person, but it was pretty good. I'd give it 3 stars, but don't know if I'd read it again. This is one of the free books from Kindle that I've managed to download from the Free Kindle Guide, so a free book is a good book - when you're broke. Besides, you never know when you might find a really good newcomer! I'll let you know what I think about the others. I think I've downloaded at least one a day for the past couple of weeks. Looking forward to some down time this summer and cozy nights around the fire in the winter.

Mom, Bob, Steve and I went to the Scandinavian Midsummer Festival at Stinson Park, which will always be AkSarBen to me, this afternoon. It was fun. We didn't know what to expect because this was only the second year they've had it, and last year it mostly got rained out. They had a pretty good supper for only a $5 donation. A couple Swedish meatballs, boiled potato, pickled herring, cucumber, lingonberry, a piece of hard tack, and a pepperkaka or gingersnap as they're known in the good old U.S. We bought a little package of Spritz cookies too... I love Spritz cookies, so buttery they melt in your mouth. Yummy dinner. I pawned my picked herring off on Steve and Bob. I'm not one for pickled fish. Ick. Good diner! They had a troll out meting people, they decorated a May Pole and sent it up and then danced around it, and played several games involving dancing around the pole. I think everyone really got into the spirit of it. I know Steve and I enjoyed watching it. We should have brought a blanket and/or some lawn chairs, but we didn't. Next time we'll know better. Weren't sure exactly what to expect this year, but now we do. The head of the Norweigen Consulate spoke to us for a few minutes about Midsummer night and some of the traditions that are still continued in Norway and other countries to this day. The trolls and witches that come on the longest night of the year. You have to build bonfires to keep them away. If you make a sachet bag with either 7 or 9 herbs and you sleep with it under your bed, you're supposed to dream of who you're going to marry. He said to be careful - you may get more than you wished for! LOL! Then they planted the May Pole and had the dancing. By that time I was kind of tired of standing and there really wasn't anywhere to sit, except on the ground and neither Carol or I thought we could get up off the ground if we sat down! So, after about 2 hours of fun, we cam home.

I want to try to find Hailey a small trike tomorrow. The Elders had stopped over tonight and she was entranced by their bicycles. I think she's about ready for a trike. Wish I had gotten her one when Wal-Mart had them for $20 at Easter. Funny how just a couple months can change things? I asked Matt if we could come over tomorrow and he said he's think about it. He better be kidding, ungrateful kid... I'll hold his towels for ransom that he left in our dryer.

Started taking the generic Fosomax today. Another pill in the jar... At least it's only once a month. I guess I can live with that. My DEXA scan needs to improve by next year.

Guess that's it for today.

Today, I'm thankful for my family. We're blessed that we've had children, grandchildren, and now great-grandchildren who haven't had any significant health problems and that... In this day and age, is a true blessing. Love to my family!


Mom, Nana, and Mindi

No comments: