Tuesday, July 1, 2008

We're still here...

I thought I better update a little before my brother gives me a hard time about not updating.

We had quite the storm blow through last Friday night. I just read the National Weather Service has officially upgraded the strength of the winds that blew threw at 100-115 m.p.h. Luckily, we didn't lose any of our trees, but the rest of the neighborhood wasn't quite as lucky, we have literally tons of trees and branches lining the street now, waiting for pickup. We also lost our electricity from 4:45 Friday night until 11:45 Monday morning. Wouldn't you know it was my 3-day weekend too! All of Friday and most of Saturday was spent cleaning up our yard and helping friends with their tree problems. Omaha literally looks like a war zone, with trees broken off, signs blown out, and homes damaged. It's just amazing what the power of wind can do.

Since we had no power yesterday I had to go up to the hospital to work, the storm blew through Fremont too, but it's apparent the wind wasn't quite so ferocious there. Lucky them!

Since we lost everything in our our refrigerator and freezer - thinking the power would be back on sooner than it was, by the time we went for ice there was none to be had, I had to go to the store today. We're now $260 poorer, but the refrigerator is restocked and we don't "have" to have restaurant food for dinner tonight. I was all set to make meatloaf and baked potatoes, but realized when I got home that I had forgotten eggs. Ah well, smoked pork chops will have to do.

Back to the grindstone for now. If you want to check out storm pictures I posted some that I took at www.picasaweb.google.com/mindikurtz

No comments: