Thursday, September 11, 2008

Alone again...

Last night was my coworker's last night. Today we had a meeting at the hospital, so I manged to get some OT - but while we were all in the meeting the doctors had a field day and dictated like mad. I couldn't believe it when I got home and logged on. I got 2-1/2 hours of OT today because of the meeting, yet only worked an hour less actually typing and still didn't make a dent. My director asked me at the meeting today if I thought I could handle nights by myself... I think she's gone stark raving mad. Nights really are busy! Most docs don't dictate until after their office hours - except the operative reports, of course. We also type notes for a pulmonology clinic, pain clinic and infectious disease clinic, which usually isn't bad, but today for some reason both the pulmonologist and infectious diseases docs had their clinics on the same day. Oy! I didn't even get the inpatient stuff done and I'm beat! We're down to only 4 full-time transcriptionists from 6 a year ago. Hopefully the higher ups will decide soon about the voice recognition and/or upgrade and 4 will be enough. The job opening for the gal who quit today is only going to be occasional, not full time, so I'm wondering what's going to happen. In the meantime I imagine I'll be sucking up the OT as long as my back can take it!

It feels good to be sitting in bed and updating my blog! I've missed a laptop. I meant to take some pictures, but haven't gotten that done yet... I will! Just color me very happy in the meantime.

I can't remember if I posted about Steve's path report or not, so forgive me if I did, but it came back showing a low probability for malignancy - whew! We dodged the bullet that time, but having this whole incident happen has made a couple of us sit back and take stock of what's going on in our lives and maybe come to the realization that we're not going to be around forever. I've talked to Marc and Mel about it and we'll see what happens in the coming months. It should be interesting - one way or another! As far as Steve goes, he still has to go have scopes every 3 months for probably a year and then every 6 months. The doc said low probability is not the same as benign, but almost as good. He also took some muscle from around the edges of the tumor and those all came back clean, so even if it was benign it hadn't spread. Whoo!

I'll be glad when he can retire next year and maybe we can downsize on the house. I love this house, it's actually my dream house, but it's way to big for the two of us. If nothing else, I realized with this little health scare that I do NOT want to take care of this house on my own. It's too big and the yard is too big. Good for a family, but not for just the two of us. Hey, if it weren't for the 7 dogs, I'd go back to an apartment - but Steve loves his yard. Hopefully the housing market will improve in the coming months and we'll actually make some money! Too bad we can't make what the county says our house is worth! Someone in the tax assessors office is out of their mind!

I had to order a new battery charger/power supply for my Kindle - one of the dogs ate the end of it, while it was plugged in. Good think it's only 2 volts! I have to be more careful about leaving things plugged it! Anyway, the new one came today and I'm finally able to recharge it and read the books I downloaded last week.

Our weather has been gorgeous! I actually turned the furnace on night before last when it was 64 in the house. Brrr... It's warmed up a little, but still below 80 for the second week in a row! Rain coming tomorrow - I'm sure of it. My ankle is giving me grief tonight. So much for the Weather Channel!

That's it for now. I'm going to try to get to sleep early so I can get up in the morning and work a little. One person is off, so there's only one person working and I left a mess tonight!

No comments: