Monday, January 14, 2008

Dreams and stuff

I had the most bizarre dream and experience today. I'm losing it. As if anyone doesn't know, we had to put our Charlie Brown to sleep in 2006, just a few days before Christmas. I was quite attached to little Charlie and I miss him very much. Well, more than very much, however much that is! He was such a personality and even all my other dogs just don't quite fill the void that Charlie left.

Steve has to be out of town this week and had to be at the airport by 5 a.m. this morning, so I took my Ambien at 8 last night. By midnight I was still wide awake. It doesn't look good, does it? Especially since I didn't sleep at all Friday night for whatever reason... We got up at 4 this morning, I got him to the airport by 5, I was home by 5:45 and put my pj's on and went back to bed. I woke up at 9:30 when Jojo wanted out of his kennel, and back to sleep I went. I got up at 10:30 and remember thinking I had to get up pretty soon because I had an appointment at the vet at noon....

Of course I fell asleep again. I dreamed that my old roommate, Gene, had come to visit me and Steve and we had been visiting awhile when for some reason I opened the back door and all the dogs got out. We were chasing them all over the place, but when we got them all back to the house, Charlie Brown wasn't there. Gene said they had tried to catch him, but he just wouldn't come to them and kept running farther and farther away.. Oh my gosh, in my dream, I was just crying, and crying because Charlie was gone and I was sure he was going to get hit by a car. Steve went out and couldn't find him either. I was just so sad. Then, like dreams do, we were in a different house and I was going to go out to the backyard and when I opened the door, there was Charlie! I was so happy to see him - and he was so happy to see us! His little stubby tail was wagging about a hundred miles an hour and he was running back and forth between Steve and me, just like a dog who has been gone from home and is happy to be back. I was picking him up and petting him and he'd want to get down and run to Steve. As soon as Steve would pick him up and pet him, he'd want to get down and run to me... I can't tell you how happy I was to see him!

The next thing I knew I woke up again and it was 11:35. Holy crap! The vet is about 20 minutes away and my appointment was in 25 minutes! I jumped up, let the dogs out, got dressed, let the dogs in, changed Toby's belly band and off to the vet we went. We had quite a long visit with Dr. K, and Toby got his shots, everything is good... I left the exam room where we were and went to stand by the desk when I heard dog footsteps coming from down the hallway where we had just been, which incidentally is the same hallway where the room is where Charlie was put to sleep. There was no dog there. No one was there, as a matter of fact, but I heard a dog walking down that hallway, a light dog, not like a lab. Something like Charlie. It was a little freaky, but what really freaked me out was the leaves of the plant on top of the armoire next to the room where we had Charlie was PTS were moving like there was air blowing on them. But there isn't an air vent near the armoire. I even mentioned to the tech at the counter who also thought it was pretty strange. She couldn't hear the footsteps though, I asked her, and she said no, although I could still hear them. I know she probably thinks I'm nuts now, but I really think it was Charlie. I really do. The dream was so real, and so were those footsteps. I just feel like maybe that was Charlie just letting me know he's still here. I still think he is anyway, but I guess he wanted to make sure. For what it's worth, I got the message Charlie. I know you're still here!

No comments: